GLAD DAY BOOKSHOP
Salaried, Full-Time Position
Glad Day Bookshop is expanding to a larger location on Church Street and will be adding a coffee shop and cocktail bar to our business model. We are looking for a keen, innovative, motivated and optimistic leader to join our team as we add a food menu to our space.
Our menu will be very focused and have a limited number of items – the priority is being fresh, delicious, seasonal, creative, comfy and reasonably priced. This is a great position for someone who already has strong cooking skills and is looking for experience leading a small kitchen. There is the opportunity to learn from our expert consulting team as well as test and develop your own creative style.
This position will work closely with the General Manager, who will provide ongoing guidance, direction and support. There is the potential for growth and expansion of responsibilities in this position.
Glad Day Bookshop is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage you to identify in your cover letter if you consider yourself to be part of a racialized or marginalized group.
FOOD PREPARATION, SERVICE & SAFETY
- Work with our food creative team to develop a simple menu that is fresh, healthy, seasonal and contemporary
- Be passionate about food that is local, seasonal and sustainable
- Develop and deliver a menu that is mindful of and adaptive to dietary restrictions and need (vegan, halal, gluten free, allergy-aware, and more)
- Prepare and plate all menu items
- Work with the General Manager to report on food costs and profit
- Work with the General Manager to establish a supply chain that meets our vision and values
- Maintain the highest level of cleanliness in the kitchen area at all times
- Maintain the highest level of safety standards in the kitchen area at all times
- Train incoming staff in all aspects of food preparation specific to our menu
PEOPLE & COMMUNITY
- Provide the highest quality of service at all times
- Develop positive relationships with our customers and community
- Foster a sex-positive, anti-racist and anti-oppressive environment
- Be committed to an ongoing anti-oppression and self-reflection practice with a focus on reducing how discrimination based on race, gender expression, ability and mental health manifests itself in the kitchen and restaurant setting
- Work with our team to create and support special events
- Use your position to support large organizational initiatives & projects
- Work collaboratively and positively with staff and volunteers in a creative, solutions-focused and inclusive environment
All candidates must have
- At least 2 years of restaurant or food preparation experience
- Food Handler Certification
- Standard First Aid Certification
- Previous experience with the LGBTQ community in an employment or volunteer capacity
The ideal candidate will have some or all of the following:
- Over 5 years of restaurant or food preparation experience
- Education, certification and/or training in a directly relevant field
- Experience sourcing food that is local, seasonal and sustainable
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Experience with anti-oppression and anti-racism frameworks
- An understanding of sex-positive workplaces and community spaces
- An understanding of gender and gender identity
- Experience in a leadership role that prioritized listening, adaptability and collaboration
This is a full-time position that offers a competitive salary.
The salary will be based on the candidate’s experience, meeting sales targets and their choice of health, dental and insurance packages.
DEADLINE AND START DATE
The deadline for applications is October 7th.
The starting date for this position could be as early as mid-October and we will discuss with the ideal candidates the options and logistics around schedule as we finalize our renovation and opening plans.
HOW TO APPLY
Send your resume and cover letter to:
In the subject line of your email, include the phrase KITCHEN LEAD
Due to the high volume of applications we tend to receive, only successful candidates will be contacted for an interview.
ACCESS & ABILITY
Glad Day is an equal opportunity employer; we value diversity in the workplace. We are happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Some examples of accommodations include:
Alternate formats for communication material
Technical aids/assistive devices
Interview scheduling to accommodate a religious holiday